Over the past few weeks, we have been in the process of canceling the accounts of members who have been engaging in activities that are against our terms and conditions. The number of infractions is small, but has impacted the service for other members.
Some have said that they were not aware that they were violating these terms. So, I would like to provide an explanation and clarification of some of the main terms to avoid any future confusion.
With these cancellations, we are attempting to protect the service so that everyone will have the ability to experience going to the movies via the MoviePass subscription. When our members violate our terms of service, it hurts our business and our member community, so we are very grateful for the majority of you who do not misuse the service.
Below are some of the general service regulations. I would also encourage you to take the time to read through our full terms and conditions for more details.
- Movie Tickets Only – MoviePass is solely for the purchase of movie tickets. Other items at the theater, such as concessions or gift cards, cannot be purchased using the service.
- Selected Movies Only – Members must see the movie that they have selected in the app. Checking into one film, but seeing another is not allowed.
- No Resale – Members are not allowed to resell tickets purchased using MoviePass.
- No Split Tenders – Checking into a supported film, then using MoviePass as partial payment for an unsupported ticket, is not allowed.
- No Account Sharing – Each MoviePass account can only be used by the account holder.
We know that this process has not been perfect, and I apologize for any inconvenience. I have asked our Service Compliance team to reinstate members who may have been wrongfully cancelled or do not have a history of intentional misuse.
Thank you for your support,